The USS Massachusetts Memorial Committee, Inc. (dba Battleship Cove) invites qualified candidates to apply for the staff position of Chief Curator. Battleship Cove is a 52-year old iconic cultural heritage destination, which receives 100,000 visitors annually, and is located on the waterfront in historic Fall River, Massachusetts.
Battleship Cove is dedicated to the preservation of a historical memorial including the world’s largest collection of naval warships providing the public with an educational experience to honor patriotism and country.
The Maritime Museum at Battleship Cove presents the region’s rich maritime heritage through exhibitions, programs and educational outreach to our community.
The primary focus in our presentations and exhibitions is the human story that is supported by material culture and objects.
To educate the public about events and people who risked everything to safeguard America’s freedoms through programming and experiences reflecting sacrifice and patriotism. To provide visitors with a personal experience that both stimulates and inspires.
• The visitor’s experience is paramount and the fundamental measure of success.
• We take pride in delivering very high quality and value for visitors and members
• Creativity and respect are the lifeblood of our organization.
• We enjoy diversity in people, thinking, and communication so everyone can do their best personally and for the organization
• We are undaunted: great things happen when passionate people work together.
The Chief Curator will lead a curatorial team toward accomplishing the Museum’s mission of welcoming all to celebrate American Maritime and Military heritage in a setting that unites the power of history with contemporary culture.
The Curatorial Division of the organization includes Collections, Education, PT Boats and related programs who serve to create the intellectual product of the two Museums.
This position will strive to create an organization that transforms lives through experiences that foster the discovery of new ideas, expanded dreams and inspired actions.
Primary responsibilities include strategic design, development, and supervision of the Curatorial Division; and ongoing development of plans for the facilities, the department, its staff, volunteers, and associated programs.
This position requires a scholar skilled in collaboration to lead in the development and growth of the permanent collection, the scope and framework of a dynamic exhibition program, research and scholarship, and coordinate resources to produce publications.
The Chief Curator/Director of Curatorial Affairs serves as a key member of the senior management team and must bring strong management experience, a record of accomplishment of innovative projects, and a desire to create a distinctive experience in a dynamic museum environment. The position reports to the Executive Director and works in collaboration with all divisions of the Museum.
Education, Training, and Traits:
• Master’s degree in history or related field, regional history a plus
• Applied knowledge of professional museum principles, practices and procedures
• Grantsmanship and Development experience
• Knowledge of research tools and methodology including PastPerfect software
• Self-directed and motivated
• Very flexible and helpful; occasional evening and weekend hours required
• Must have mastery of English language; both written and verbal
• Minimum of 6 years management-level museum experience required
• Minimum of 7 years applied curatorial experience
• Demonstrated experience managing substantial department, project and program budgets
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to John McDonagh, Executive Director, Battleship Cove, 5 Water Street, Fall River MA 02721, or by email at email@example.com. No calls please